Monday, January 30, 2012

Farmer to convert cane farm to rice paddock


Sachindra Prasad clears his cane farm at Nagigi. Picture: Serafina Silaitoga

SACHINDRA Prasad could only stare at his seven-acre cane farm that was covered with cane which he burnt before his farm was ravaged by floodwaters.
Heavy rain experienced in the North last weekend swamped his farm at Nagigi, outside Labasa Town.
"I have lost $3000 as a result of the flood that damaged my farm," he said.
"Now I have to uproot the cane and replant.
"But I won't replant this year because it's too late because harvesting begins in June."
Mr Prasad said he would uproot the damaged crop and convert the farm into a rice field.
"It will be much easier because the land will still be soggy and the continuous rain is favourable for rice farming.
"Early next year, I will start planting cane again because it will be in time for the harvesting season in June."
Mr Prasad said rice farms were also submerged but that wouldn't pose a problem.
"In fact, it's good for my rice farm and at least I will get some money from the rice which will help me with my cane farm next year," he added.

No comments: